Thousands of years ago, healers and beauticians used crystals as part of their beauty regimens, as cures for ailments, and for manifesting desires. They would crush up stones into powders for the skin and steep crystals in water to make what are known today as “essences.” Crystal essences can be applied topically as part of a skin-care routine, ingested as a drink, added to a bath, or used as room spray. Just like the minerals themselves, each essence has a specific vibrational energy. By using an essence, you allow the healing properties of the crystal it’s made from to work on you from the inside out.
The Rules for Using Crystals
- Use a base: water is for drinking essences and oil is for topical ones.
- Use clean, polished stones so you don’t leave any debris in your essence.
- Some crystals have toxic properties, so research carefully (the stones we list here are safe to use).
- Don’t mix more than two different types of crystals.
6 Step-by-Step Instructions for Using Crystals
Step 1: Fill a sterilized glass vessel with 16 oz of water or carrier oil (grape seed, jojoba, or coconut).
Step 2: Gently place crystals into the liquid with a wooden spoon.
Step 3: Set your intention for the essence (for example, “Help me open my heart to emotional healing”).
Step 4: Place the glass vessel and its contents in direct sunlight or moonlight (7 hours for water-based essences, 24 hours for oil-based essences).
Step 5: Remove crystals with a wooden spoon.
Step 6: Fill a glass dropper or spray bottle with the essence and either use it immediately or store it in the refrigerator (water-based essences are good for a few days, while oil-based ones have a longer shelf life).
3 Potent Crystal Combinations
- Essence for emotional healing: Amethyst and Kyanite
- Essence for balance: Clear Quartz and Blue Lace Agate
- Essence for vital energy: Carnelian and Shiva Lingam
About Our Expert
Devi Brown is an American radio and television personality. She is the author of Crystal Bliss: Attract Love, Feed Your Spirit, Manifest Your Dreams (Adams Media, 2017), and the founder of Karma Bliss, a retail and lifestyle brand specializing in tools designed to kick-start your self-discovery journey. See more at devibrown.com or karmabliss.com.