Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
You could put a top crust on this, but the coconut crumb topping works best.
- On sheet of lightly floured wax paper, roll out pastry into 12 1/2-inch circle. Line 9-inch deep-dish pie pan with it, sculpting edge into stand-up ridge. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In small saucepan, bring port to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until reduced by roughly half, about 8 minutes; check by pouring it into glass measure. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In large bowl, combine plums, grapes, sugar, tapioca, preserves, lemon peel and lemon juice. Add reduced port and mix well. Let stand 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon fruit filling into chilled crust and smooth top. Bake 30 minutes. (If top or edges brown too quickly, cover with strips of foil.)
- Remove pie from oven and evenly spoon topping over fruit. Press down lightly to compact. Reduce temperature to 350°F and bake until juices bubble, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer to wire rack and cool completely before slicing.
- Serving Size 8 to 10 servings
- Calories 512
- Carbohydrate Content 83 g
- Cholesterol Content 47 mg
- Fat Content 18 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 11 g
- Sodium Content 176 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g