Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Eggplant rolls stuffed with this spinach, ricotta and fresh herb filling are quite delicious and full of flavor.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Slice tomatoes lengthwise. Scrape out seeds with knife tip and discard seeds. Lay tomato halves cut side down on baking sheet. Scatter onion slices and garlic among tomatoes; sprinkle with black pepper to taste.
- Trim ends off eggplant and cut lengthwise into 8 slices. Lightly coat second baking sheet with cooking spray. Lay eggplant slices on sheet, overlapping slightly to fit. Coat eggplant slices lightly with cooking spray. Place both baking sheets in oven. Roast until eggplant slices are soft, and tomatoes puff and start to brown, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, mix spinach, ricotta or cottage cheese, egg whites and herbs. When vegetables are done, remove from oven; reduce heat to 350°F. With tongs, pull skins off tomatoes and discard skins. Scrape tomatoes, onion, garlic and pan juices into food processor and process until a chunky sauce forms.
- Spoon 1 cup sauce into bottom of 9 x 9-inch baking pan. Place about 1/3 cup spinach-ricotta mixture on one eggplant slice; roll up from small end, and place seam side down in baking pan. Repeat with remaining slices, using all the filling. Top eggplant rolls with remaining tomato sauce, and sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake until cheese is melted and casserole is hot, about 25 minutes.
- Serving Size 4 Servings
- Calories 233
- Carbohydrate Content 29 g
- Cholesterol Content 13 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 18 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 250 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g