Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
A glamorous-looking side dish or luncheon entrée, this calls for a variety of trumpet-shaped wild mushrooms.
- Preheat oven to 175F.
- Place tomatoes in baking dish with olive oil and thyme. Bake for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, heat 11/2 tablespoons butter in large skillet over medium heat. When hot, sauté mushrooms; when soft, remove from heat and set aside, reserving juices.
- Place about 3 inches vegetable oil in heavy stockpot, and heat over medium-high heat to 325F. Carefully place potato strips in hot oil, and fry until golden, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Cut leeks into 1-inch lengths. When tomatoes are cooked, increase oven temperature to 350F. Place leeks in baking dish, and roast with 11/2 tablespoons butter and cayenne until softened, about 20 minutes.
- Melt about 1 tablespoon butter, and brush on each sheet of filo dough. Cut dough into 4-inch circles. Bake in oven with leeks for about 5 minutes. Remove from oven, and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in skillet over low heat, and cook shallots, white wine and mushroom juices until shallots are softened, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat, and place in blender with hazelnut oil. Process to mix well.
- Heat remaining butter over medium heat, and sauté mushrooms again with fresh herbs and Swiss chard until heated through.
- To serve, place leeks on center of plate. Top with filo, mushrooms and potato strips. Spoon baked tomato mixture around leeks, and top with shallot sauce. Serve while hot.
This dish is a good example of many ingredients coming together to create a unified whole while maintaining their individuality. While it would pair very nicely with a medium-bodied, earthy red wine such as a Syrah from France’s Rhône Valley or a Pinot Noir from Burgundy, the recipe calls for white wine in the sauce. Drink the wine you cook with. Try Joseph Drouhin Beaune Clos des Mouches Blanc Premier Cru.
- Serving Size SERVES 4
- Calories 930
- Carbohydrate Content 40 g
- Cholesterol Content 60 mg
- Fat Content 85 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 22 g
- Sodium Content 140 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g