Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Salting eggplant before cooking draws out excess moisture and tames any bitterness. If you cannot find hominy, simply substitute canned chickpeas or pinto beans.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Scoop seeds from centers of eggplant halves, leaving shell about 1/2-inch thick around the sides. Sprinkle generously with salt, and let sit 10 minutes.
- Mix salsa, hominy, crumbles, breadcrumbs and cilantro in medium bowl. Season mixture to taste with salt and pepper.
- Rinse salt off eggplant halves; pat dry with paper towels. Fill with hominy mixture, and sprinkle with cheese.
- Place stuffed eggplants in 9×13-inch baking dish. Add 1/2 inch water to dish, and cover tightly with foil. Bake 1 hour, or until stuffing is hot and eggplants are tender. Uncover, and bake 10 minutes more, or until cheese is browned. Serve hot.
- Serving Size Serves 4
- Calories 321
- Carbohydrate Content 48 g
- Cholesterol Content 12 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 13 g
- Protein Content 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 1000 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g