Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
While sandwiches make great lunches, they’re also good for dinner when time is short. This combination of aromatic basil, meaty mushroom and slightly crunchy asparagus is memorable for flavor as well as flair. Grill the mushrooms and asparagus together on a grill or cook under the broiler. The recipe for pesto makes nearly one pint—enough for sandwiches and a pasta dinner as well. Pesto also sparks the flavors of farm-fresh vegetables, whether grilled, poached or raw. Refrigerate
unused pesto. It lasts for about four days sealed with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Place basil, garlic and cheese cubes in food processor fitted with steel knife blade and process 2 to 3 minutes, or until cheese is grated and basil and garlic are finely chopped. Add olive oil through feed tube and continue to process.
- Stop, scrape down bowl and process again.
- Add pine nuts and pulse to incorporate.
Grilled Portobellos and Asparagus
- Gently wipe mushroom caps with damp cloth to remove grit. Brush mushrooms and asparagus with olive oil. When grill or broiler is hot, place mushroom caps and asparagus on grill or under broiler. Cook until flecked with brown and cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from grill or oven, slice each cap into four strips and set aside.
- Heat each half tortilla on ungreased skillet for about 1 minute per side over medium-high heat, until tortilla puffs.
- Spread each warm tortilla half with 1/2 tablespoon pesto, and arrange mushroom strips and asparagus on top. Roll up and serve immediately.
The basil, garlic and grilled mushroom components of this dish ask to be matched with Chardonnay, but the prominence of asparagus might kill the meeting. So instead of a buttery, oaky, barrel-fermented Chardonnay, you should go for one made in a leaner style that is fresh and simple. Try Lalande Vin de Pays des Côtes de Gascogne.
- Serving Size SERVES 4
- Calories 190
- Carbohydrate Content 27 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 200 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g