Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
You can add extra salt if you prefer to omit the Parmesan cheese.
- Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add penne and stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Cook until just tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in large deep skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and shallots and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, 2 minutes. Add zucchini and squash and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and golden at edges, about 6 minutes.
- Drain penne, reserving 1 cup cooking water. Stir lemon peel, salt, pepper and reserved cooking water into squash mixture.
- Transfer penne to large serving bowl. Add squash mixture, basil and chives and toss to combine. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if using and serve hot.
- Serving Size 6 Servings
- Calories 215
- Carbohydrate Content 28 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 183 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g