Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Enhanced with a cinnamon and muscovado sugar topping, these cookies are every bit as delicious as those served at your favorite coffee bar. Biscotti can be made a day or two ahead and stored in a covered tin or plastic container at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray 2 baking sheets with olive oil, and set aside.
- To make Biscotti: Put hazelnuts in a single layer on a third dry baking sheet. Toast for 5 to 7 minutes, or until lightly brown, stirring frequently. Remove from oven, and fold inside a clean kitchen towel. Set aside for 10 minutes, rubbing from time to time to remove excess skin. Transfer nuts to a small bowl.
- Combine flours, oats and cocoa in a large mixing bowl. Stir in baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, and set aside.
- Put tofu in food processor, and pur8Ee. Add prune pur8Ee and sugar, and process again. Add vanilla and soymilk, and process until smooth. Fold tofu mixture into dry ingredients, and add hazelnuts.
- Divide dough into 4 sections, and turn onto a lightly floured work surface. Form 4 2×9-inch logs. Place on baking sheets, 3 inches apart.
- To make Cinnamon Topping: Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Sprinkle topping over logs, and press topping gently into dough.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until very firm to the touch and browned. Remove from oven, keeping oven on, and cool on baking sheets for 10 minutes.
- Transfer logs, using metal spatula, to work surface. Using serrated knife, cut logs diagonally into 3DA4-inch-wide slices. Place slices, cut side down, on large dry baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Turn biscotti over, and bake 15 minutes more. Turn oven off, leaving biscotti in oven for an additional 10 minutes. Remove biscotti from oven, transfer to racks and cool.
- Serving Size Makes 60 Biscotti
- Calories 90
- Carbohydrate Content 15 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 2 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 153 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g