Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This is a bright, attractive twist on the usual miso soup. Its light and energizing and fierce enough to drive away a cold. Dont be intimidated by the long list of ingredients. The stock takes only minutes to get in the pot, and the garnishes are simple.
- In stockpot or large saucepan, combine leeks, onion, carrot, celery, mushrooms, lemongrass, ginger, garlic, jalapeños, cilantro stems and 8 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, about 35 minutes.
- Pour stock through a strainer set over a large bowl; discard solids. You should have about 5 cups of stock. If necessary, add water to measure 5 cups. Pour stock back into pot, and reheat if necessary.
- Bring medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add rice noodles. Let boil 1 minute, turn off heat, and let stand 10 minutes to soften. Drain.
- Remove 1/4 cup stock to small bowl; add miso, and stir until dissolved. Add miso mixture, noodles, tofu, scallions and watercress to stock. Stir in lime juice and cilantro leaves. Serve hot with jalapeño rings floating on top.
- Serving Size 4 Servings
- Calories 86
- Carbohydrate Content 16 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 1 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 409 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g