Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This tasty, colorful recipe can work as a side dish, or it can become a flavorful entrée by adding slices of browned tempeh or soy sausage just before serving.
- Combine lemon juice, brown sugar, both gingers and oil with 3 tablespoons water. Stir well to blend, dissolve sugar and moisten crystallized ginger.
- Put beets, carrots and shallots in slow cooker, and pour on lemon-ginger mixture, stirring to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover, and cook on low until vege-tables are soft, 6 to 8 hours. To serve, sprinkle with chopped toasted walnuts.
OVEN METHOD: Prepare lemon-ginger mixture as directed. Preheat oven to 375F. Place beets, carrots and shallots in ovenproof dish; pour on lemon-ginger mixture, stirring to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Cover, and bake until vegetables are tender, 1 to 11?2 hours. When ready to serve, sprinkle with chopped toasted walnuts.
- Serving Size 4
- Calories 380
- Carbohydrate Content 43 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 21 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 190 mg
- Sugar Content 26 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g