Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
To crush croutons, place them in a large zipper-type plastic food storage bag, seal and run a rolling pin over bag.
- In shallow bowl, combine wakame and hot water to cover. Let soak 15 minutes. Drain and chop coarsely (you should have about 1/2 cup).
- Meanwhile, in large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, Old Bay, thyme and cayenne until blended. Add celery, bell pepper and burdock if using and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, stir in wakame and cook 4 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
- In another large skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add mushrooms and cumin; stir vigorously to keep mushrooms moving. Add mirin and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
- In large bowl, combine croutons, vegetable mixture, mushroom mixture, scallions and dill. Stir in enough broth so that stuffing is moist enough to hold together when pressed but not soggy. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stuff vegetable of choice and bake according to directions in “Stuff It Your Way” (available in recipe index) or serve as a side dish.
- Serving Size Makes 7 cups
- Calories 125
- Carbohydrate Content 13 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 381 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g