Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Makes 2 10-inch tarts
This pizzalike French tart was originally devised as a way to use extra bread dough.
- Heat oil over medium-low heat in large skillet. Add onions, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, 35 to 45 minutes, or until onions are very soft. Meanwhile, prepare dough.
- Uncover pan, increase heat to medium and cook, stirring, 10 minutes, until liquid has evaporated and onions are brown. Discard thyme and bay leaves.
- Place an inverted baking sheet on oven rack set in lowest position. Preheat oven to 450F.
- Divide dough into 2 balls. Place 1 ball in center of 15-inch piece of parchment paper. Flatten into a 10-inch circle.
- Spread half of onions over dough, leaving 3?4-inch border. Arrange half of red pepper strips in crisscross pattern. Dot with half of olives. Repeat with remaining dough and toppings. Slide parchment papers with tarts onto baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes, until crust is golden.
Quick Whole Grain Dough
Makes 2 10-inch tartsVegan
This dough takes under 2 minutes to mix and knead. If the dough is ready before you are, you can punch it down and let it rise again, or even make it ahead and refrigerate it, covered, overnight. Bring it to room temperature before shaping.
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. instant yeast
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbs. olive oil, preferably extra virgin
- 3/4 cup warm water (105—110F)
- Combine both flours, yeast and salt in food processor; pulse to combine. With motor running, add olive oil and warm water through feed tube, and process about 15 seconds, or until dough forms a ball.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured work surface, and knead just until smooth and manageable, about 1 minute. Place dough in greased bowl, and turn to coat. Cover with damp kitchen towel, and let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. (Dough is ready when fingerprint on surface fills in slowly.)
Note: Instant yeast includes those brands whose names imply haste, such as “rapid rise.” It’s a stronger yeast, so you can use less and add it directly to the dry ingredients. Brand names include SAF Perfect Rise Gourmet Yeast, Red Star Quick-Rise Yeast, Fermipan Instant Yeast and Fleischmann’s RapidRise Yeast.
- Serving Size Serves 6
- Calories 370
- Carbohydrate Content 57 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 620 mg
- Sugar Content 16 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g