Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Quick-cooking barley is available in most supermarkets. It cooks in 10 minutes, as opposed to regular pearled barley, which takes at least 40.
Menu plan: Serve this spicy salad with baked marinated tofu and a fresh tomato and cucumber salad.
- Cook lima beans according to package directions; drain and cool.
- In medium saucepan, bring 3 cups water to a boil. Add barley and cook until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold water and drain again, pressing to remove excess moisture.
- Transfer barley to medium bowl. Add lima beans and red pepper.
- In small bowl, whisk together tomato juice, lime juice, oil, cilantro, garlic, cumin, oregano and hot sauce. Add salt to taste. Pour dressing over barley mixture and toss to blend. Serve at room temperature.
- Serving Size Serves 4
- Calories 252
- Carbohydrate Content 41 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 88 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g